Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Change Comes to Meldrum Bay



I first sailed to Meldrum Bay in the summer of 1976.  We had a Cal-20 with very few modern conveniences.  No running water, no sink, no stove.  Just a cooler, a porta-pottie and a 10 gallon jug for fresh water.   
Meldrum Bay was also very primitive.  It had a general store and an ice cream place.  The docks were old and worn and the town offered little except a place to stop and check in with Canadian Customs.  There was an old icehouse near the dock.  For $.50 the dock master would go in the icehouse and slide down a block of ice, covered in sawdust.
 
Laurie, Hayley and I first sailed to Meldrum in July of 1998.  Our boat had a full galley, hot and cold running water, a real toilet, actual navigation instruments and a VHF radio.  When we arrived, I remember thinking that in the 32 years between my visits, I had change more than Meldrum Bay.  Same old rickety docks and dock house.  The same ice cream stand and the same general store.  The icehouse had been replaced by a real freezer, but other than that, not much had changed.
On June 22nd, Laurie and I left Presque Isle and sailed across the lake to Meldrum Bay.  I was immediately struck by the changes.  The old docks and steel caissons have been replaced by modern floating docks.  They have built a breakwall to protect the harbor from the nasty north winds.  There is a new bathhouse and boater’s lounge that also houses the customs booth.  The general store has been reopened and is now called, “Meldrum Bay Country Store and Artisans Loft.”  The old dock house is still standing, but just barely.  The windows have been removed and it looks to be demolished soon. 
The Meldrum Bay Inn is still running and still serving up great meals. 
Best of all, the people are still friendly and seem genuinely glad to have visitors.  I hope that never changes. 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been to Meldrum Bay in a long time myself. Looks like it's changed quite a bit since I've been!

    ReplyDelete